This is a great dinner entree for vegetarians or a wonderful side dish to supplement a grill out. And here is a great little background from the Whole Foods blog with some other recipe ideas.
Quinoa with Chickpeas, Roasted Veggies and Herbs
- 1/2 c. dry Quinoa
- 2 asparagus spears, sliced into 1" pieces
- 1/4 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 artichoke, heart only, diced
- 1/4 spanish or red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 small zucchini, diced
- 1/2 c. cherry, grape or small heirloom tomatoes
- 1/2 c. chickpeas, from canned, drained and rinsed
- 1 T. minced herbs (parsley, oregano, basil, thyme, tarragon - whatever!)
- 2 T. evoo
- Bring a medium pot to high heat, filled 1/2 way with water to a boil and sprinkle in a little salt.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Add quinoa and turn down heat to a 'heavy simmer' or 'light boil' for 10-15 minutes until quinoa starts to 'sprout' and is al dente.
- In the meantime, toss veggies and herbs in a bowl with 1 T. evoo and salt and pepper to taste. Place in oven to roast for 10-15 minutes until cooked through, remove from oven and set aside.
- Strain quinoa from water and gently toss over sink in colander to remove excess water - then place in medium bowl.
- Add veggies, remaining 1 T. evoo and chickpeas to quinoa and gently stir to combine. Ready to enjoy warm or at room temperature.
Nutritional values are based on Prevention estimates