It is getting towards the end of the summer and if you are like me (and some of my clients) you are starting to look for something a little different in your salads, rather then the same old tomato, mozzarella and basil salad you've been served all summer long.
Why not try incorporating some slaws into the mix? Slaws can bring a variety of texture, sweet and savory excitement into your daily summer salad routine.
Papaya Slaw (serves 1): (Pictured Above)
- 1/2 c. Pink Papaya, diced
- 2 c. sliced cabbage
- 1/4 c. slivered green onions (or 1/8 c. brunoise vidalia onions as pictured)
- 3 T. picked cilantro
- 1/2 lime, squeezed
- 2 T. canola oil
- Combine lime juice, canola oil and salt and pepper.
- Gently toss together remaining ingredients and drizzle dressing over slaw, gently tossing until slaw is coated and enjoy!
Jerk Chicken Slaw (serves 1):
- 1 small, skinnless, boneless chicken breast
- 1 T. fresh picked thyme leaves
- 1 t. cayenne
- 1 chopped sage leave (about 1 inch in length)
- 2 t. grated nutmeg
- 2 t. grated cinnamon stick
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and roughly chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 and 1/2 c. real OJ
- 3 T. sliced green onions
- 1/4 c. julienned jicama
- 1/4 c. julienned red pepper
- 1/4 c. julienned carrots
- 3 T. of minced cilantro
- Combine chicken, thyme, cayenne, sage, nutmeg, cinnamon, garlic, 1/2 of lime juice and 1/2 c. of the OJ in a non-reactive metal bowl and marinate for 30 minutes.
- Add remaining OJ to a pot and bring to a boil on the stove, then reduce to a medium simmer to reduce the OJ by at least 3/4 and OJ becomes a syrup-ie consistancy, then remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, when oven is hot, remove chicken from marinate and place in oven safe, sided baking dish to bake for 8-10 minutes until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from oven and cool completely.
- Place chicken on cutting board and using 2 dinner forks, scrape at chicken breast, shredding chicken completely, in small pieces and set aside.
- Combine OJ reduction, remaining lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper, set aside.
- Combine green onion, jicama, red pepper and carrots, sprinkle in chicken and gently fold with spatula to combine.
- Drizzle OJ mixture over salad and gently stir and fold salad until salad is coated, then serve and enjoy!
- 1 c. sliced green cabbage
- 1/2 c. chopped pineapple
- 1 T. toasted sesame seed oil
- Combine green cabbage and pineapple in a large bowl.
- Drizzle sesame seed oil over and gently fold slaw with spatula until coated, serve and enjoy!