5.02.2006

Restaurant Review: Mez at Sheraton Pattaya, Thailand

I had the pleasure of staying at the new (only open 8 months) Sheraton Resort in Pattaya. It was small resort on the water with several pools and a beautiful view from our gazebo balcony.

In my experience, it had been become almost a definite rule: "while on resort properties, the cost of the beautiful setting comes at the expense of a great meal".

But the Sheraton has done a fabulous job with Mez, an upscale modern restaurant, serving contemporary Thai cuisine.

I've listed below some of my favorites from the menu. Although I forgot to write down the dishes 'official' names, I have tried to remember their ingredients as much as possible:

Orange Glazed Crispy Duck Salad, over Arugula with Mung Beans: This salad was huge and there must have been 8 oz. of duck on it.

Seared Scallops, on some sort of a warm brunoise apple compote.

Lobster Tempura (1 tail, split in half), with tempura shiitakes, asparagus and a sweet ginger tomato compote and a sweet fruit aioli (mango or something similar).

And my personal favorite, Tofu Pumpkin, a flan type dish served with a lima bean, cilantro and sun-dried tomato compote. This dish I am looking forward to re-creating it for myself!