4.21.2011

Ode to Curry Gold

Ode to Curry Gold at Sweetgreen
Inspired by Maya Angelou's Phenomenal Women

Fast food joints wonder where your secret lies.
You’re not processed or built to suit a ‘value’ meals size
They think you're selling healthy lies.

I say,
It’s in the reach of my warriors
The span of my long run,
The stride in my fartlek,
The curl of my biceps.
You’re curry gold
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal curry gold.
That’s you.

I walk to where you are
Just as cool as the FroYo I see
And to the fast food man across the street,
That stands or
Falls down to his knees,
His media swarms around me,
Yet tired and clogged arteries are all I see.
I say,
It’s the curry in the dressing,
And the almonds toasted just right,
The spring in my spinach,
And the joy of cucumbers so light.
Your curry gold,
Phenomenally.
Phenomenally curry gold,
That’s you.

The man himself has wondered
What I see in you.
They try hard to live without a deep fryer
But sweetened injections can’t touch
Your simple roasted chicken
When I show them your ingredients there's no mystery
They say they still can’t see
I say,
It’s within this chefs clean eating habit,
The sun on your beets,
The spice of your curry,
My healthy lifestyle complete
Your curry gold
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal curry gold,
That’s you.

Now they understand
Just why there's always a line
You don’t shout or jump about
Although sometimes your stores' music is just plain too loud
When you see me passing
It ought to make you proud.
I say,
It’s in the beep of my Garmin,
The bend of my wheel,
The prayer at my hearts center,
My choice to care,
‘Cause your curry gold
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal curry gold,
That’s you.

Recipe: Mock Curry Gold
  • 2 c. spinach
  • 1 small chicken breast, roasted, small dice
  • 1/4 c. cucumber, small dice
  • 1/4 c. pineapple, peeled, small dice
  • 1/4 c. beets, peeled, small dice
  • 2 T. almonds, slivered, toasted
  • 2 T. cranberries, dried, unsweetened
  • 2 t. evoo
  • 2 t. curry powder
  • salt and pepper to taste
  1. In a large bowl, toss together spinach, chicken, cucumber, beets, pineapple, almonds, cranberries until combined.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together evoo, curry powder, salt, pepper and drizzle around edges of large bowl with salad. Gently fold and toss salad with tongs.

No comments: