It started as a recipe from Eating Well or Vegetarian Times Magazine (I can't recall now? and it seems like all food magazine print the same recipes around the same time of year) - but I pretty much changed the whole recipe. Instead of inserting orange segments, I just made a OJ reduction vinaigrette and tossed that in at the end. It gave it the citrus it needed, but the cilantro, pistachios and jicama give it the o'stand-by another twist!
Recipe: Fennel and Orange Salad with Toasted Pistachios (Serves 1)
- 1 Fennel Bulb
- OJ (1 & 1/2 cup)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Place about 1-2 cups of OJ (Freshly Squeezed, Not Concentrate) in a pot, bring to boil and reduce until about 1/8 - 1/4th cup and like syrup.
- Remove from heat, let cool.
- Whisk in salt, pepper and a 3:1 ratio of extra virgin olive oil: OJ reduction.
- Shell pistachios and place on sided cookie sheet. Place in oven and toast for about 5-10 minutes at 400 degrees. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Save your self some time next time, and just buy the roasted shelled pistachios from Balducci's for $7.
- Julienne jicama and set aside.
- Remove all stems, greens and root from fennel, then shave (on the thinniest setting) on mandaline.
- Chop cilantro to a rustic chop (so that it is chopped, but you can still tell that it is cilantro).
- Toss together jicama, fennel and cilantro and gently toss.
- Drizzle in OJ reduction vinaigrette and gently toss, taste for seasoning and serve.