Here is a aesthetically pleasing way of serving a beet and goat cheese salad - which can be prepared a few days ahead and chilled in tupperware before your next summer dinner party. But don't forget the plastic gloves! You do not want your guests joking over and over - "that you've been caught red handed". Just ask your meat department counter person at Whole Foods/Wegmens/Balducci's to give you two pairs, then you don't have to buy a full box from your local hardware store.
Beet & Goat Cheese Napoleon
- 2 Golden Beets (largest you can find)
- 2 Red Beets (largest you can find)
- 4 oz. Goat Cheese
- 1/4 c. heavy cream
- 1/2 T. tarragon, chopped
- 1/2 T. parsley, chopped
- 1 t. cardamom, ground
- 1 beligan endive, green
- 1 beligan endive, purple
- 1/2 T. dijon
- 1/4 c. evoo
- 4 T. Red Wine Vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring 2 medium pots, filled with water to a boil. Add 1 T. of salt and 3 T. of sugar to each. Trim beet greens and set greens aside. Carefully drop yellow beets in 1 pot and red beets in the other. Boil for 10-15 minutes until a paring knife slips through center of beet with little to no resistance. Strain beets from liquid and place gold beets in ice bath and red beets in another ice bath, until cooled (about 10 minutes). Put on plastic gloves and over a paper towel, carefully rub your gold beets, the skin will slide right off. Then change gloves and do the red beets.
- Slice the beets on a mandoline and set aside. Using a circle mold that is small enough to cut circles in the beet slices (about 2 inches in diameter), pile the slices of red beets in piles of 4-5 and cut with circle mold to create perfect circles. Wash circle mold and continue with the same process for the yellow beets.
- Combine goat cheese, creme, tarragon, parsley, cardamom, salt and pepper to taste and whisk until combined. Carefully roll goat cheese into little balls, about 1/2 inch in diameter and set aside.
- Lay out 4 slices of red beets and top each with 1 goat cheese ball. Top goat cheese balls with 4 slices of yellow beets, then continue with goat cheese, red beet slices, goat cheese, yellow beet slices, goat cheese, red beet, finishing with goat cheese. Using a spatula, place beet and goat cheese napoleons in tupperware to refrigerate until serving.
- Cut 1/2 inch of bottom of beligan endive and pile leaves (4-5 high) on the cutting board, vertically. Carefully slice in juliennes, then place in tupperware, fill tupperware with water and cover with a damp papertowel, then tupperware lid, place in refrigerator until service.
- Combine mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl, whisk until salt is dissolved and then run in evoo while whisking to emulsify vinaigrette. Place in small tupperware and refrigerate until service.