11.17.2005

Restaurant Review: 2941


Name: 2941
Chef: Jonathan Krinn
Location: Falls Church, VA
Cuisine: American-Mid Atlantic-French Contemporary
Stars: 4/5
Review: November 2005

Okay, I love 2941, so I am not going to say a lot about the details. If you haven't been, you must go. The food is exceptional and many believe that it is the best restaurant in DC, food wise, perhaps all of the DC area? The service is comfortable and helpful, not 'Inn at Washington Standards', but you'll never lack in water, clean silverware or a folded napkin at your seat after returning from the restroom.

The food is always perfectly seasoned and I have had several culinary school mates that have worked there, one told me that 5 people taste the food before it leaves the kitchen.

My husband and I eat here about every 3 months, once the entire menu changes over. The last time we were there, we ate outside, enjoying their spectacular deal and the view of Tapas on the Terrace. You can read that post here.


Here is our menu - we of course went for their 4 course for $87:

First Course: Duo of California Artisan Foie Gras, Saute & Torchon, Fall Veggies Confiture and Yuzu Flazed Figs

Second Course: Lobster Medallion and Mishima Beef Cheek Ravioli, Creamed Leeks, Red Wine Reduction and Main Lobster Emulsion - Seared Yellow Fin Tuna with Roasted Porcini Mushrooms, Fingerling Potatoes, Salsify and Porcini Sherry Emulsion

Third Course: New Zealand Venison Loin, Braised Red and White cabbage, Applewood Bacon, Chestnuts and Quince (pictured above)

Fourth Course:

Chocolate and Chocolate: Chestnus with Chocolate Chestnut Mousse, Cognac Sabayon, Chocolate Citrus Ganache and Chestnut Ice Cream

Chocolate Brownie Baked Alaska with Chocolate Chip Ice Cream & Chocolate Sauce


A few comments on the food, the Ravioli - AMAZING! Lobster emulsion...buttery goodness - one of the best dishes I have ever had! Duo of braised cabbage, so interested, each so different in taste, color...2941 has always had amazing desserts, the baked alaska tableside 'flambe' service was great and it was so good, I took several bites from my husband...although my chocolate and chocolate was disappointing...I got chocolate ice cream instead of chestnut, the sabayon had way too much cognac and overpowered the chestnut mousse, to where all I could taste was cognac and I had to stop eating it and drink some coffee for a while to get my taste back. The ganache didn't taste like anything but chocolate.

Although this is still one of my favorite restaurants of all time....we did have a few surprises about our experience last Friday...

First, they charged my credit card 130% of the bill, 10% higher then I left and signed for. Apparently they put a hold on that much and then after a few days, the actually amount will be charged to the card. When I called about, the operator/secretary (I assume) said this is standard. I asked why...she repeated, just because, it is standard. Weird. In all the times we have dined there, it has never been this way before?

Second, the price of the menu is about 20% higher then the last time we dined inside the restaurant (about 6 months) - this restaurant used to be the best food and the best value - now it is a little overpriced..the food is worth it, but the service is not. It is roughly the same as dining at Citronelle, including the 10% city of DC restaurant tax - which VA does not have....so it was a little disappointing.

Finally, Jonathan Krin was once known as the 'Duo' Man, serving 'Turf and Turf', 'Surf & Turf' and 'Surf & Surf' dishes on each menu - now it is all about the cotton candy....There was only 1 selection of Surf & Turf on the menu and the amount of cotton candy they gave us at the end of the meal was 4 times the amount we got 2 years ago when we dined there for the first time. I think they took the Washingtonian Article about being the "Cotton Can Man" a little too seriously.

I mean look at this, cotton candy for 2 people with petit fours? Look at this picture...the cotton candy is like 4 times taller then my coffee cup!

No comments: